Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) – Questions to ask your doctor.
If my doctor suggested hormone replacement therapy for menopause (HRT), what questions would I ask about my hormones and Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) to understand the risks? Is there any alternative?
Some HRT FAQs to consider:
- because I am in menopause will my years to live be reduced if I take Hormone replacement therapy?
- can I start doing things that will increase my oestrogen levels?
- doesn’t oestrogen still get produced in other parts of my body? like adrenals and from fat cells?
- most importantly, will the HRT (hormone replacement therapy) improve my oestrogen levels? and will I get periods again?
- and will the HRT reduce the hot flushes, night sweats and vaginal dryness
- will this medication include progesterone?
- if one hormone is low and the other not, what affects does the treatment have on the other?
- will the meds improve or extend my life?
- will HRT save me from heart disease or any other known late life illnesses? like dementia?
- because I’ve had one of my ovaries removed – my question; is this known to impede my living to a grand old age?
- do I need to take anything other than the oestrogen to protect against uterine cancer?
- what other risks are there?
- I’ve heard about cancer risks? breast and colon cancer? what are my chances here?
- is there anything I can do more specifically? like use a vaginal cream for dryness and not take a pill, to avoid some of the side effects I asked about before?
- will HRT (hormone replacement therapy) affect my body weight?
- how will the treatment affect my bones?
- can I improve my diet to look after my bones? or should I take other forms of treatment for this, like tea?
- what about weight training? my question is; does it strengthen bones?
- how long do I have to take these drugs – 2 years or 10 years?
- does my family history matter with using HRT?
- If I have liver disease, should I take HRT (hormone replacement therapy)? or drink tea?
- besides that, does my own health history matter if I decide to take HRT?
- what is the oestrogen made from? horses’ estrogen?
- if I eat foods like soy will that improve my symptoms and overall outcome?
- more importantly, rather than HRT medication can I try alternative, like homeopathy?
- or herbs, like Cohosh, hops or wild yam?
- I’m not on any other medication, but if I need, how will this HRT be affected?